Lifestyle Modification Methodology

Poor lifestyle choices, such as smoking, overuse of alcohol, poor diet, lack of physical activity,  inadequate relief of chronic stress and poor sleep hygiene are key contributors in the development and progression of preventable chronic diseases.  Diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension, Cardiovascular Disease, Obesity and many types of Cancer are all directly  impacted by, in not caused by Lifestyle Choices. The RFMx Program is designed to educate and support participants in the following Lifestyle Choice areas:

Eating Plan

Food is important.  It provides the fuel necessary for the body to function.  From basic functions like breathing and the heart beating the machine of the human body needs fuel to operate.  Food is also an important aspect of social behavior.  From gathering around the family dinner table to "happy hour" to holiday celebrations food has taken on an increased role.  The standard American diet (SAD) is a modern dietary pattern that is generally characterized by high intakes of red meat, processed meat, pre-packaged foods, butter, fried foods, high-fat dairy products, eggs, refined grains, potatoes, corn (and high-fructose corn syrup) and high-sugar drinks. There are many "Diet" Plans out there that appear to have short term success in shedding weight but many are not considered healthy.  Fad diets like the South-beach Diet, Adkins, Keto and others that limit carbohydrates and replace them with unhealthy levels of protein and fats may yield short term success but may  have negative long term consequence.

On thing that most diets have in common is removing processed foods.  That is the cornerstone of the RFMx eating plan.  Eating a diet that is primarily Whole Food - Plant based is critical to success on the RFMx program.   Losing weight is 75% about the food you eat and RFMx delivers education and support in making a major Lifestyle Modification. It is also not about eating less but eating right.  In many cases participants will consume more food that before.

Exercise

If what you put in your body is 75% of the equation then exercise is the other 25%.  Much like fad diets there are a number of fad exercise programs that do lead to weight loss but just like fad diets they are not always sustainable and often time lead to injuries.  The RFMx Exercise program works by focusing on what you can do to start and building upon that .  The human body is very predictable in how it trains and improves efficiently and the exercise program builds on that.  Participants start off on a once a week program at their own pace but in a group setting.  As they progress through the program they are naturally able to increase both the intensity and frequency of the training.  Its that simple.  We focus on functional activity, starting off by walking and moving on from there.

Mindfulness and Stress Reduction

Mindfulness: a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.

Mindfulness can improve heart health.  Research suggests a regular meditation practice could protect against heart disease, reduce hypertension, stabilize mood and reduce depression. As part of the RFMx program participants are educated on  and encouraged to spend time daily in meditation.  As few as 5 to 10 minutes a day can lower stress, heart rate and reduce hypertension.  

Sleep

Sleep is essential for a healthy heart. People who don't sleep enough are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease—regardless of age, weight, smoking and exercise habits. Getting enough good quality sleep is important if you want to lower you risk of these conditions.

Smoking Cessation & Alcohol Reduction

Studies have shown smoking is linked to increased atrial fibrillation risk. The more a person smokes, the greater the risk, but quitting smoking appears to lower it significantly. Drinking too much alcohol can increase risk for developing AFib and worsen symptoms. But based on the latest findings, cutting back on drinking could have a big impact on outcomes for patients with AFib.

Community

People are social creatures.  Its in our DNA to live, work and play together but when it comes to making lifestyle modifications these changes are almost always taken up as an individual task.  The RFMx program changes that.  While every participant is different and the challenges they face are unique participants are not alone.  Not only do they have the support of their health coach, food coach and medical team but they have the RFMx community for encouragement, support and accountability.  Research suggests that this type of group goal setting is far more successful and sustainable than trying to do it alone.

  
Levelfield Website Designs